It contains practical, personal techniques that will help you apply your new skills to real-world situations: holding time-effective meetings, dealing with distractions, learning to focus, coping with unrealistic workloads, planning for the unexpected, negotiating with your manager over conflicting tasks, and using technology effectively.
It includes suggestions on non-work activities including healthy sleep, which make this a complete approach to managing time and balancing life.
The first edition, published by John Wiley & Sons, in 2005, is available at Amazon here. It actually was a best seller in its first year out! The second edition, published in 2015, provides an updated perspecive for the social media era. It's avaiable at Lulu.com and in our store.
Cool Down takes a look at our innate and powerful addiction to high-speed activity, and shows how it is robbing us of the ability to think creatively and to connect with others (clients, colleagues, managers, and even family) just when we need to the most.
Cool Down offers a provocative look at the value of slowing down in many aspects of our lives and demonstrates clearly that to get further ahead, faster, people do actually need to cool down. It's not about doing less; it's about achieving more by slowing down. Cool Down highlights the harmful effects of speed on productivity and reveals the value of slow in helping us to think clearly and prioritize more effectively.
Cool Down is a fascinating look at the world of work, revealing how and why slow is the next tool of strategic advantage.
- Shows why and how to consciously step away from reactionism, pressure, and overload.
- Reveals the numerous ways in which cooling down will improve your potential and abilities--intellectually, emotionally, and creatively--making you more productive by going slower.
- Contains practical advice that will help you apply cool techniques to real-world situations: at work, on the road, and at home.
- Explains how to improve communication with your boss, your colleagues, and your family.
- Features lots of examples, practical tips, to-dos, and concepts that are memorable and easy to apply. Each end-of-chapter summary includes "Key Points to Take Away" and assessment questions to help you honestly observe and change your current habits.